Saturday, November 4, 2017

Siblings

Morgan (8th grade) and James (7th grade) are siblings, and both are in my Social Justice class in 5th period. James is also in my Social Studies class (as Morgan was last year). As individuals, they are bright, hard-working, and hilarious. As siblings, they are-- well, they're siblings. I once had to break up a friendly chokehold in the classroom (James, who was being ferociously grasped by Morgan, managed to gurgle that it was a "modified hug-- I have to take what I can get, you know?") They tease each other, and I understand that occasionally they even-- shock and horror!-- annoy each other.

Morgan is nonbinary, which is confusing to some people. Because they aren't a girl or a boy, they use gender neutral pronouns and don't use feminine or masculine identifying words. I would never call them either "Mr. Morgan" or "Miss Morgan," nor would I refer to them as James's older sister-- but that's what another student did, quite innocently and unknowingly. I overheard the conversation.

Unknown Kid: "James, your sister has Miz Middling too, right?"

James: "My sibling, yeah. They do."

Unknown Kid: "...your sister, though? Right?"

James: "Well, my sibling, but yeah. We're both in social justice."

It was so calm, so easily and clearly corrected. It was both the biggest deal, and the most insignificant at the same time.

Later, I was pleased to pass along the story to Morgan. When I told them, they were touched. "That's... wow. That's really great. I mean, he teases me at home sometimes, 'cause, you know, siblings. But... that's really nice."

Morgan called James immediately. "Hey, Miz Middling said that she overheard you correct a kid who called me your sister. So, yeah. Thanks. Ok, yeah. See you at home. "

shirt from lookhuman.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Power of a Story

A few months ago, we were talking about cultural appropriation in my social studies classes, just in time for a discussion of Halloween cost...