Friday, November 3, 2017

A Web of Ducklings

I had extraordinary teachers when I was in middle school-- kind, caring, compassionate, and patient people. They were always genuinely pleased to see us (or they were really, really good actors) and respected our feelings, thoughts, and opinions as valid. I think about them when I'm interacting with my students now, and that example has set a really powerful base for the relationships I have with "my kids." 

There are a network of kids out there who consider themselves my family-- and the feeling is very mutual. Sure, they don't come home with me at the end of the day, but then, barely manage to get myself home at the end of the day. (I think I'm one Murphy Bed away from living in the classroom... good thing I like it there.) (And, realistically, I'm pretty sure the kids would come home with me if the opportunity presented itself. They know I have friendly cats.)

I refer to them as my "school family," and their very existence fills me with joy. They hang out in my classroom before school, after school, at lunch, and during class (if they have class with me). They eat the snacks I buy for the classroom, and helpfully offer them to other guests. They clean and organize the space, fill me in on the details of their lives, and ask sincerely about my weekends. I hurry them off to their scheduled activities ("You don't have to commit to that activity, but if you DO commit, you have to follow through!"), prod them into finishing their homework and help if they need it, and pass along the lessons I wish someone had just said to be straight-out ("If you want someone to do something, the best way to achieve that is to tell them"). I think of them as my ducklings, since they are seemingly always around.



I don't know how long these kids will be my ducklings-- some of them will go to high school next year, and while I think they will keep in touch, I know I will certainly see less of them. Perhaps they'll come over every single day after school-- or perhaps months will go by without a visit. I could understand and respect either decision. 

When I first moved to this city, I decided I would make it my "home town," as I had not ever experienced such a thing before. I thought of this as "spinning my web," creating a network of people, locations, and memories that make me feel secure. 

For however long my ducklings are my ducklings, I'm glad they are part of my web. 

(Yes, I used clashing metaphors. I'm fine with that.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Power of a Story

A few months ago, we were talking about cultural appropriation in my social studies classes, just in time for a discussion of Halloween cost...